Skip to main content

Featured

The rise and rise of Yo Maps

  Yo Maps Originally published in the Zambia Daily Mail  By VICTOR KALALANDA For any ardent follower of Zambian music, there appears to be enough reason to believe that celebrated Zambian artiste Yo Maps (real name, Elton Mulenga) is nothing short of extraordinary. If he was average, as his detractors would desperately have us believe, he wouldn’t have lasted more than six months on the local music scene after releasing his smash hit song “Finally.” He would have disappeared like snow in the summer sun. The unwritten rule in the music industry is that without a decent prior music catalogue, any artiste who happens upon instant fame is destined to become the infamous one-hit wonder. In any cut-throat field of human endeavor, big doors don’t swing on small hinges. The roots must run deeper than outward appearances, or else nothing lasts. For an artiste that keeps exceeding public expectations since rapturously coming to the notice of the nation in 2018, Yo Maps proves that not on

Less social media, more happiness

Column official logo

The Pilgrim, April 15, 2022*

Late last year I decided to take a long break from Meta (Facebook) because of two major reasons, which saw me reflect a lot on the meaning of human happiness. But before I state them, let me tell you how some of my friends reacted to my conspicuous absence.

I didn’t actually think that any of my peers would be bothered by my silence, since I wasn’t doing it for them, but for myself. Since it’s my Meta account that I had specifically deactivated, my friends could still reach me on a rather more impersonal platform, LinkedIn. I say impersonal because I find LinkedIn somewhat detached. So long as you’re not making any posts, you’re as good as being offline and you can stay as sane as possible.

The same cannot be said about Meta. The moment you log in, it’s as if the whole world is watching you. And because the platform isn’t needs-based, there is no stopping once you start scrolling. You’ll end up viewing all kinds of things until someone insults you or depresses you with a banal post about why fornication will take you to hell or why you should learn to be humble because one day you’ll die or might run broke.

So with Meta, people’s passive aggression, which manifests as wisdom or as spirituality, leaves you feeling guilty and even bad about yourself. The posts that people make will suddenly lead you into an unnecessary mental combat with yourself. Most people who post stuff on Meta may not actually realise that this is what happens with their target audience. But that’s the nature of the platform: it doesn’t care. Therefore, when someone commits suicide because of it, we start making speeches about why we should have reached out to them early.

Before I became a victim of such social media toxicity, I took a break and I think it was a mature move that I made. The first friend to contact me on LinkedIn, following my absence, wrote this: “Hi, Victor. I hope you are well. I haven't heard from you in a long time. Neither our mutual friends nor people who I believe know you can confirm you are around, either here in Zambia or the US. Please let me know you are around.”

He went on to send me a voice note where he expressed doubts about whether I was still alive. Well, all I can say is that I was flattered.

But there was a second message a little later that echoed a similar concern. This was from a female friend who reached out and said the following: “Good morning, Victor. How’re you doing? I’ve been trying to reach you but to no avail. You’ve been so quiet. Hope you are doing well.”

Both of my friends were essentially asking one thing: am I still alive? Though we talked, I didn’t disclose to any one of them the real reasons why I went quiet. But even more interesting is that I derived insights into my own lifestyle from their concerns. If they noticed that I was not as active online, could it be that I previously lived half of my life on social media? To a point where they felt I was an integral part of their lives and when I logged out, they felt that they were missing something special?

Well, if that’s what it amounts to, then I’d rather live my life off social media. I want to stay a little bit enigmatic, with all the consequences that entails, as opposed to offloading all my life on social media. The latter would be a probable cause for depression. This brings me to two reasons which I think led me to abstain from social media, particularly Meta.

Delusions of grandeur

You see, delusions of grandeur refer to a false belief in one’s exceptionalism, greatness, or importance. And nothing entrenches this destructive way of thinking more than social media.

It’s easy to start focusing more on form rather than substance, once you start posting your life on social media. This is because almost anything that you post, everyone will say they’ve read to the end because it’s unlike anything they’ve ever seen before. Such baloney! They’ll tell you about how extremely beautiful you’re, while deep down your heart you know you’re not nearly as beautiful in real life.

So you start believing to be what you’re not. And because you’re convinced, you tend to log in as often as possible to get the same validation from hundreds of people you’ve never even met in your life. Your dopamine also rewards you for it and makes you feel so good.

With delusions of grandeur comes the temptation to keep appearances or save face. You want to make sure that all your posts are better than the previous ones or just as good. You’ll capture and broadcast your best moments such as when you suddenly find yourself eating expensive food or drinking pricey wine. While this is a good thing, the danger is that you won’t take time to focus on building real and sustainable value.

The need to get constant social validation from social media robs you of much-needed time and resources to make real investment in your own life. Before you know it, many years would have passed without you getting a real job or economically meaningful skill, which could save you from a lot of pain and embarrassment in future.

I know of some people, as an example, who post their first car on social media and speak in high-sounding words, but they really have no job. But they do it for show. I think that the worst deception is self-deception. As someone who has owned a car before, I know how deceptive appearances can be. We should be cautious how we handle early success and that might just mean staying a little bit quiet about it until it’s more sustainable and established.

Rat race

The need for social validation does not end with delusions of grandeur but it leads to an unnecessary cutthroat competition that is referred to as rat race.

This plays out very well on Meta posts. When people have a big birthday party, they post it there. When they get a good job or promotion, they put it up for people to see. Even when they graduate!

Well, what I’ve learnt with time is that this behaviour is eerie. It leads you to believe that as long as you’ve not shared your achievement on social media, it’s invalid. It’s nothing to be proud of. What a sad way of approaching life.

After meeting so many great people in different parts of the world, I’ve come to appreciate the fact that all people have an ego. However, true greatness doesn’t announce itself. For example, I’ve never seen any of my professors posting their latest awards on social media. They keep them private. Since they’ve created real value for themselves and their own world, it’s someone else who writes about them. It could even be a journalist.

These are the two most important reasons why I decided to take a very long break from social media. I want to create real value while staying sane. I want to be at peace with my conscience when I retire to bed. I want to live believe that personal accomplishments are still valid even in the absence of publicity. I don’t have to play catch up with anyone. With time, I’ll be fine. Less social media will lead to more happiness.

*This column is published every Friday in Zambia's best-selling newspaper, the Zambia Daily Mail

Comments

Popular Posts