Skip to main content

Featured

The rise and rise of Yo Maps

  Yo Maps Originally published in the Zambia Daily Mail  By VICTOR KALALANDA For any ardent follower of Zambian music, there appears to be enough reason to believe that celebrated Zambian artiste Yo Maps (real name, Elton Mulenga) is nothing short of extraordinary. If he was average, as his detractors would desperately have us believe, he wouldn’t have lasted more than six months on the local music scene after releasing his smash hit song “Finally.” He would have disappeared like snow in the summer sun. The unwritten rule in the music industry is that without a decent prior music catalogue, any artiste who happens upon instant fame is destined to become the infamous one-hit wonder. In any cut-throat field of human endeavor, big doors don’t swing on small hinges. The roots must run deeper than outward appearances, or else nothing lasts. For an artiste that keeps exceeding public expectations since rapturously coming to the notice of the nation in 2018, Yo Maps proves that not on

Veteran scribe renounces atheism after encountering God

 

Official column logo

The Pilgrim, July 22, 2022*

If you know anything about life, you’ll agree with me that one of the most arrogant and stubborn people in the world is the atheist. Not even a woman in love—who may believe that her man, though a serial killer, is the most wonderful and interesting person—can hold a candle to them.

The same is especially true if the atheist in question is a polymath and cosmopolitan, which is to say that they have vast knowledge about many subjects and have travelled extensively around the world.

I know this for a fact because I encountered such a person in my early teenage years in Ndola and he captured my imagination, though not in his capacity as an atheist, but in his singular distinction as one of Zambia’s longest serving and distinguished print journalists of all time.

His name, Terence Mwansa Musuku, may not ring a bell today but those who have been around long enough remember his byline featuring prominently in the halcyon days of Zambian journalism in the Zambia Daily Mail and Times of Zambia. I speak of those days when newspapers exceeded print runs of over 60,000 copies and when journalism was one of the most fashionable professions around.

Musuku belonged to that galaxy of talented journalists like Samu Zulu, Alfred Mulenga, Gerald Mulwanda and Martin Musunka. Their era was epoch-making.

In the case of Musuku, he was among pioneer Black trainee journalists at Evelyn Hone College, when the institution was declared multi-racial in 1964.

By the time I knew him in 2011 or so, Musuku had practiced journalism for nearly 50 years. Following many years of reading and global exposure, he had rubbished all religions and found Christians particularly deluded. Nobody could change his mind, not even myself, or my father, who for many years was a popular and pioneer preacher in Ndola.

Musuku’s twilight years as a journalist were spent at Solwezi Today, under late journalist Musunka, where he was still able to produce compelling journalistic pieces which had come to set him apart in his prime. I opened a file about him where I kept all these memorable articles. By osmosis, I learnt the tools of the trade from him, and he became the first person to open my mind to the world of politics after he lent me books about historical figures such as Kwame Nkrumah and Winston Churchill. His own home was a journalistic museum, with trunks of his books and media awards.

In a blow-by-blow account published in the Times of Zambia, Musuku recounted that it was in 1980 when he became an out-and-out atheist and stated his reasons.

In his words: “If God commands omniscience, omnipotence, and omnipresence, according to Biblical teaching, it is so hard to understand why God has allowed the existence of Satan simultaneously. One reason.

“Second reason: I questioned the interminability Christian believers keep observing for resurrection of mankind. Now well-over 2,000 years!

“Third reason: Jesus Christ made a categorical declaration: nobody can go to Heaven, but only through Him as the son of God. But what would happen to mass-billions of humanity born before the birth of Jesus Christ?

“Fourth reason: To attain the new life guaranteed in resurrection, one must command mental faculty to understand the Biblical teachings. What about those born with mental deficiency?

“Fifth reason: With human mental ability, who qualifies to determine the rightful religion among all claimant religions in the world? Every religion, one thing and commonly, claims its scriptural book as written with God inspiration!”

But these are views Musuku himself has since renounced after a rare spiritual encounter in his home, where he reportedly saw God and lay prostrate before him at the age of 80.

Of course, I couldn’t believe my eyes when the announcement from him popped up in my email. It came in handy because my column has recently dealt with the subject of atheism, not only in Zambia, but also in the United States. I just didn’t think that the latest convert would be Musuku.

Such was his ecstatic narration: “I sat alone, late night, in the lounge waiting to watch a world –title boxing bout scheduled taking place in US. Got tired of waiting, I stood up to go and sleep.

In trice, I became sightless! For about 20 minutes I was groping, trudging towards the bedroom. The first time, in 80 years of my life, I was tangling in sightless melancholy.

On entering my bedroom God, in no time, restored my sight. My wife Cecilia was then sleeping. What ensued-the seeing God together with Jesus Christ. In full response.

For another 20 minutes, I found myself spell-bound by physical presence of God. God was on the right and Jesus Christ on the left. No talking, no smiling, I was just swooning away in God`s love, goodness, Ultra-Might, Power as the creator of Earth and mankind.

From my encounter with God, in physical reality, God truthfully created mankind in His own image. Precisely, God like his son Jesus Christ, hardly looked different from the looks of human beings.

One thing more, during my 20 minutes encounter with God, on the spur of the moment I got inspired and filled with extra ordinary knowledge God is venerated for, worshipped and esteemed in the highest.

Absorbing the striking Godly supremacy in physical disposition, the ins and outs, constituting the All- Mighty Powers on Earth and Heaven, I have a tale too touching to tell. I feel inclined trekking in the footsteps of the Biblical, Apostle Paul.”

For a Christian family that has waited seemingly in vain for this moment, this set the hearts of the Musukus astir.  

While Musuku admits that his epiphany did not lead him to a specific church or religion, he faces a challenge true of many converts, who first must read the Bible and learn about the mercies of God. This eases integration into a strong and honest local Christian community.

I may have learnt of this confession a little late, but it further strengthened my own convictions about God and Jesus Christ as the sole creator and savior of the world.

*This column is published every Friday in Zambia's leading newspaper, the Zambia Daily Mail.

Comments

Popular Posts