Skip to main content

Featured

The rise and rise of Yo Maps

  Yo Maps Originally published in the Zambia Daily Mail  By VICTOR KALALANDA For any ardent follower of Zambian music, there appears to be enough reason to believe that celebrated Zambian artiste Yo Maps (real name, Elton Mulenga) is nothing short of extraordinary. If he was average, as his detractors would desperately have us believe, he wouldn’t have lasted more than six months on the local music scene after releasing his smash hit song “Finally.” He would have disappeared like snow in the summer sun. The unwritten rule in the music industry is that without a decent prior music catalogue, any artiste who happens upon instant fame is destined to become the infamous one-hit wonder. In any cut-throat field of human endeavor, big doors don’t swing on small hinges. The roots must run deeper than outward appearances, or else nothing lasts. For an artiste that keeps exceeding public expectations since rapturously coming to the notice of the nation in 2018, Yo Maps proves that not on

Again tribal talk rears its ugly head in the country

 

Anthony Bwalya
 

Official column logo

The Pilgrim, February 10, 2023*

Yet again—and again and again—it feels like we’re already in the silly season. Tribal talk, which one would relegate to election campaigns, seems to have reared its ugly head in the country. Rogue elements in opposition political parties won’t just stop with their tribalism.

We’re so fragile as a country that we’re suddenly beginning to link tribe to everything that happens in daily life.

I see it on social media, for example, when clearly ill-intentioned people insinuate that a mere government reshuffle is tribal.

Perhaps the most important culprit here is the self-styled politician Chilufya Tayali. I mean the overbearing social media influencer who likes to have a brash with the law, whose allegedly estranged wife is Ethiopian.

Recently, when President Hakainde Hichilema’s press aide Anthony Bwalya was removed from his position, Tayali went up in arms.

Commenting on the news in his January 25 Meta post, Tayali wrote: “…we might need to apologize to [Mr] Kambwili. This tribalism is too much.”

In a separate post on the same day, he wrote: “Truth be told, most of us from the Bemba clans are useful idiots to be used by others and they dump us at their convenience.”

I want you to see how incendiary those remarks are. And I want to show you, as this column moves along, why I resent such tribal talk.

I personally descend from the Mambwe people of Northern Province and men of my ilk are referred to as Mbala Mafias. Though I clearly don’t delight in the appellation—and I’ll tell you why—Mambwes, as victims of tribal talk, are perceived to be relentless troublemakers.

I’m digressing a little bit here, but some say the Mambwe Mafia term was launched into popular parlance by President Kenneth kaunda reportedly by dint of playful reference to the late Ronald Penza.

It would seem Penza fit the bill just because on July 7, 1971, as an outspoken student leader at the University of Zambia, mobilized students to protest the French government’s move approving the supply of advanced military weapons such as Mirage fighter jets to apartheid South Africa.

Of course, I won’t write about the exploits of Wila D’Israeli Mung’omba, Dean Mung’omba and Dr. Mbita Chitala because not only is that beyond the scope of this column, but I’m also not trying to buttress the Mambwe Mafia or any other stereotype.

I want to point out that the tribalism which we preoccupy ourselves with as Zambians is nothing other than a fixture of the imagination and a by-product of bad socialization. We’re common in more ways than we realize.

You see, the insinuation that a particular Zambian tribe is cunning, selfish, or domineering disintegrates on close inspection when you look through your own life experiences.

When I went to UNZA and met Zambians of all kinds, there was always this bigot who thought that the Bembas were supremacists or that the Tonga ate alone, or that the Lozis were damn clannish!

But despite me being Mambwe, the person who fostered my academic career at UNZA was none other than Dr. Basil Hamusokwe, a simply wonderful Tonga man. It was also Dr. Joseph Moola, a highly intelligent and accomplished Lozi lawyer, who generously saved me from penury and introduced me to the sporadic delights of Lusaka life, and the possibilities of a good education. Folks, they never bothered about my tribe.

It was also a Tonga media academic, Roberta Muchangwe, who provided a platform for me to exercise my editorial abilities when I was appointed managing editor of UNZA’s teaching newspaper, Lusaka Star.

And when I was starving at UNZA, it was my Lozi and Tonga brothers on the other side of the room who came to my rescue.

I can’t remember how many times my own people have denied me help. And my experience is that people of all types are evenly distributed on either side of the spectrum. There is an equal number of bad and good people in all tribes.

I’m using Tonga and Lozi examples because unscrupulous individuals like Tayali want to condemn these people to an awful sense of what I might call “Tribal Fragility” by making them look like the bad tribes of Zambia, especially now that the president himself is Tonga.

Folks, there has never been a time when I believed that tribalism exists. To me it doesn’t because not only have I never seen the wickedness of a particular tribe, but also because even if I saw it, I would rather focus on the good and work toward a better Zambia.

Entrenched tribalism, like racism, is a learned behaviour which can and must be unlearned. The power rests in the human mind to see and create good.

The sensitization should not start and end with this column, but it must continue in your own home. Teach your children to love and respect others, and to learn to experience the love of strangers.

Tell them that if you’re open-minded, not only will Tongas and Lozis love you, but also whites, Indians and Asians, as they have done with my man Victor Kalalanda.

*This column is published every Friday in Zambia's leading newspaper, the Zambia Daily Mail


Comments

Popular Posts